Marina Commercial Park, Cork
- Client: Templeford Limited
- Architect: Henry J Lyons Architects
- Value(€ million): 623
- Value($ million): 854
- Completion date: Masterplan complete 2008
- PUNCH services: Civil, Structural, Masterplanning, Site Monitoring
The redevelopment proposal incorporates a district shopping centre, a large quantity of high rise residential units, medical facility, office and commercial premises, plus hotel, cultural and community facilities, open spaces, infrastructure and associated ancillary works. The total floor area of the development is circa 95,000 m2 and includes two landmark buildings up to a height of 68m, the remaining buildings typically 6-7 storey. PUNCH have been working as civil and structural engineers on the project from conception in 2007. The redevelopment poses a number of engineering challenges resulting from soil contamination, poor ground, historic flooding of the site, redeveloping a site in a functioning environment and major infrastructural improvements. It is proposed to adopt a raised podium structure throughout the redevelopment. Extensive car parking will be located under the podium structure.
Marina Commercial Park is located in the centre of Cork South Docks. The proposal to regenerate the area is set out in the Cork South Docklands Local Area Plan. The site which measures approximately 9 hectares / 25 acres is reclaimed marshland and formed an integral part of the Port of Cork in the 1800s and towards the turn of the century was the site of Cork Race Course. The Marina Commercial Park is however best known as the former location of the Ford Factory in the 1900’s. Today the site accommodates approximately 150 low rise commercial premises (mainly bulk retail) with some 1,500 employees.
Sustainable technologies are proposed throughout the development including rain water harvesting techniques, surface water attenuation, grey water recycling and other similar schemes. In addition to regeneration of the site significant infrastructure improvements are proposed for the surrounding area including construction of a “Seagull” bascule bridge over the River Lee with a 50m opening span.