Main Guard, Clonmel, Tipperary
- Client: Office of Public Works
- Architect: Ms. Margaret Quinlan
- Value(€ million): 2
- Value($ million): 3
- Completion date: 2004
- PUNCH services: Conservation/ Restoration
- Awards: The Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI) Regional Award 2004, The Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI) Best Practice in a Conservation Project Award 2004
PUNCH commenced restoration works in 2004. The old façade structure was, for many years, supported with a steel frame and shores to keep the old building standing until the finance was in place to commence the restoration. PUNCH designed the new structure required including the first floor, roof and tower. There was also a new structure formed to the rear of the main façade building.
The Main Guard was built by Mr James Butler, Duke of Ormonde, in the year 1675 as the Courthouse for County Tipperary. The building was also used as a toll house and has on open arcade to the front with sandstone columns and semi-circular arches to the main elevation. There is a bell tower structure protruding from the main roof.
The Main Guard Building in Tipperary is now a National Monument of Ireland.