Orkney Street Police Station, Glasgow
- Client: Glasgow South West Regeneration Agency
- Value(€ million): 3.6
- Completion date: 2009
- PUNCH services: Civil, Structural
The Grade B listed Orkney Street Police Station building (built 1867, Architect John Burnet) had functioned as the original Govan Town, Fire Station and finally as Govan Police Station with an Edwardian cell block constructed to the rear. The building now offers office space ranging from 800 to 2,800sq. ft.
We were appointed by Govan Initiative to provide conservation, structural and civil services for a comprehensive refurbishment for both buildings, to provide modern office accommodation in the main building and to convert the rear cell block to offices for small fledgling businesses. A modern three-storey extension to the north end was also designed on piled foundations, but was not included in the final scheme.
Linking the front main building to the rear cell block is a new glazed stair enclosure, and other major works entailed steel structures to provide a mezzanines floor to take advantage of the generous storey heights, along with a lift installation to serve all levels.
This project also involved extensive repairs to the existing windows and doors of the Orkney Street Police Station. In keeping with conservation practices, as much of the existing building was repaired rather than replaced. The station remained operational throughout the duration of the project and required careful planning and coordination to ensure minimal disruption was caused.